Many Opera browser users have faced the problem that their built-in VPN ceased to function. When Opera VPN doesn’t work, no connection is made, the browser refuses to open blocked websites, and the user’s privacy is at risk. Fortunately, there are several ways to fix this problem. Let’s take a look at the main ones.
Old browser version
If the program is outdated, the required functions may just refuse to work. It is enough to update your browser to the latest version:
- Click on the “Menu” button in the Opera window.
- Open Update and Restore.
- Run the test execution.
- Confirm the browser update.
Security software activities
Antivirus software and similar programs often prevent Opera from functioning correctly. They just consider the blocked websites you visit as a threat to the system. Try to disable them and connect your device to Opera VPN again.
There is a huge number of add-ons that serve as built-in VPN. And, as a consequence, conflicts may arise because of this. You should remove them in the following way:
- Click on the main menu in your browser.
- Choose Extensions.
- Find an unwanted plugin and click on the cross icon.
- Confirm the removal.
- Repeat this procedure with all other unwanted plugins.
Cookies and caсhe
Cookies and cache clog the computer with unnecessary garbage which can cause some program failures. You can find these to clear in Settings > Advanced > Privacy and Security > Clear browsing data. When clearing, make sure you will have to re-enter logins and passwords for different websites, social networks, etc.
Damaged components of the program
Sometimes none of the above-mentioned methods don’t work. In such cases, you should completely reinstall Opera. Remove the browser current version from your computer. The best way to do this is the following actions:
- Use the Win + R key combination to open the “Run” tool window.
- Copy the command appwiz.cpl and paste it into the text field, click on the confirmation button.
- Find Opera in the list of programs, click on it, and select the corresponding option.
- Mark data cleaning.
- Click Uninstall.
- Wait until the procedure is completed and restart your PC.
- Install the last Opera version from the official website.
Opera is one of the most popular browsers and so far the only one with the VPN module included officially. Unfortunately, the problems with this feature in Opera are very rare but sometimes it is really impossible to activate it. Usually, users complain that this VPN refuses to function or just doesn’t start. Use one of the above-mentioned ways to fix your problem.